Confessions of a Newlywed: Garbage Disposal War UPDATED

I made a big boo boo in the 
kitchen Tuesday night. 

We cooked hamburgers for dinner. 

Pretty normal, right?

Well not this time. You see, we don’t have a grill, but we have two types of griddles. We have an electric griddle and a stovetop griddle. The electric one I love, but it is very hard to clean, especially with something greasy like hamburgers. I used the stovetop griddle last time and it was much easier to use and clean.

This time
it didn’t go as planned.
I used the stovetop griddle like normal, drained the grease like I always do, and we ate our tasty burgers. Husband goes to clean the dishes and straighten up after our meal to discover that

{our sink threw up}
notice it's full of water
our dishes are drowning in greasy nastiness
 I poured the grease in the sink.
We aren’t 100% sure if this is the cause of our regurgitory sink or not, but it does seem to be the case. I've done this several times before.
It was either that or the wad of chicken pasta I disposed of because I bought spicy buffalo velveeta instead of regular velveeta.

We didn’t know how to handle this, and it really overwhelmed both of us. So we did what any civilized human would do and... left it. Overnight.We just didn’t know what to do.
meet our tiny kitchen
kitchen, readers. readers, kitchen.
{Yuck, huh?}


So Wednesday I stopped by the store on the way home to get some drain-o. It {the sink} didn’t like that either, but it at least masked the odor. We didn’t have much time to fight with the sink because it was a church night. We finally concluded that we would have to manually dispose of the water. AKA scoop it out. Luckily, we have a big ditch behind our apartment, and we poured it out there.




After church we tried to plunge it, like a toilet, because we had several people suggest that. Nothing. It did not work.
We don’t know what to do.
We have a clogged nasty sink {as you can see} and 
1- we don’t have much 
free time to dedicate to it 
2-we need to eat/do dishes 
3-tonight makes 72 hours 
it's been like that.
Arg.

Maybe I should just buy turkey from now on. 
It’s much leaner and produces less grease.

How am I supposed to properly 
dispose of grease?
….without catching my house on fire.

Have you ever had this problem?
How did you conquer you garbage disposal?


we
need 
your
help

***update***
my dad went over, took the pipes apart 
and inspected it to the best of his ability.
he found nothing. he even got on the roof.... not sure what's up there, but he sent a snake???? down the pipes. not sure.... anyways... calling the landlord today!!!

5 comments:

... RacheL ... said...

Megan, my mom and grandmothers both dispose of their grease the same way. We pour our grease in an old peanut butter jar or something to that affect. After it cools and thickens, we cover it with the lid and throw it in the trash. Its a little too late now, but I hope that helps in the future!

Anonymous said...

I would've suggested the plunger, too. I can't believe that didn't work. You might have to take the pipes apart! :0( Next time you have grease, let it cool and pour it in a jar. You can store it under the sink or wherever, and keep filling it until it's full, then throw it in the regular trash.

Keri said...

I agree with the other comments. NEVER put grease down the sink! Get an old jar, let the grease cool, and then store it in there. When the jar is full throw it away. And I am afraid you may have to take the pipes apart and remove the clog. :\

Anonymous said...

a snake!!! LOls!

Whim Wham Life said...

Eeeek! What a bummer! Plumbing problems are sooo annoying. I agree with everyone else for future grease: pour it in an empty coffee can/jar. You can keep it forever like that until it gets full and then just toss it;-) xoxo

Popular Posts