Hebrews Chapter One



Wednesday while at the bank I was sitting on the couch waiting for the cashier to finish my transaction (they are always pretty lengthy, and I had three on this particular day) when this elderly man came up behind me and startled me a little bit. He placed his cold hand on my shoulder and said “Do me a favor, would ya?” I tried not to shrug him off and give in to my judgmental human nature as I replied “Why, of course I would!” He then asked me to read the book of Hebrews. I smiled and told him that I would. He hobbled on out of the bank as he shouted “Jesus is-a comin!” Because of my relationship with the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, I was familiar with the book, and with the return that this senior mentioned. We’ve all heard that the Lord speaks in mysterious ways; well, I’m ready to hear what he has to tell me through this book. Had I ignored that feeble old man, I would have missed out on a great blessing, I’m sure. It has been a while since I actually read Hebrews, and feel like this is a great opportunity to revisit it. I believe (as most Christians do) that the Word is alive! This simply means that you may read a certain passage one time, and the Lord speaks through it in one way, but the next time it is completely different. Consequently (I don’t believe in consequences) it is Hebrews that tells us this: “For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating as far as to divide soul, spirit, joints, and marrow; it is a judge of the ideas and thoughts of the heart” Hebrews 4:12.


I dove into chapter one Thursday with an open, clear mind to see what the Lord had to say.

Chapter one is essentially a declaration of Jesus’ superiority. He is placed high above the angles, even so that the angels also worship Him. None of the angles were given the privilege to sit at the right hand of God. Several quotes from the Psalms are made by the writer in order to exemplify his authority and superiority. Verses 11 and 12 proclaim that he will always be superior. The very last verse (14) is a question concerning the angels: “Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?” Angel literally means messenger. They are spirits sent to aid the heirs of salvation.


The purpose of this book is to encourage the Jewish Christians under persecution. The writer is trying to let them know in chapter one Jesus’ superiority to help them realize that it is WORTH IT! It was written in efforts to defer them from returning to their old ways.

Jesus came on earth as a lamb, humble and gentle, but he will return one day in all of his superiority. His return will be that of a raging lion. Do you want his wrath to fall upon you? Or would you rather experience his grace and mercy on that Judgment Day?

No comments:

Popular Posts