Decoupaged Desk

Drum Roll Please...........


I'm FINISHED!


This project didn't take long because it was hard. It didn't take long because it wasn't as fun as lazer tag in a dark room with your husband. It didn't take long because I wasn't motivated.

It took forever because I'm pregnant.
And it's winter.
Zero daylight.

By the time I get home from work (yes, I work full time)... It's dark outside, and I can't very well do these projects inside because that would kill mine and unborn babies brain cells muy rapido. I  had to do a large part of this outside (I = husband; he did most of the hard stuff). Don't worry, I used one of those super sexy filter masks.


I found this gem on the greatest facebook group ever...  The online yardsale.... I'm totally addicted. I snagged her for $30!
First, we sanded the tar out of that thing, and then lover primed it. After contemplating what to do with the unruly handles, I decided I would fill them. I used spackle from the hardware store... I don't know what the original use for spackle is, but it filled in my handles just fine. This part was rather annoying, but worth it in the end. It took days of layering and layering. Fortunately the pink stuff turns white when dry so that helped a lot! We sanded it smooth once dry to ensure a flat surface.
       
I wanted to add my own little knobs to the drawers, so we had to find the center and mark where the knob should go. Hubs drilled the holes. Be sure to drill the holes before you Modge Podge if you are going to try this. 
Note: Modge Podge is now a verb, kinda like Facebook.... "Oh just Modge Podge it..." "Oh just facebook me..."
We then measured and cut our fabric for the drawer fronts allowing about an inch or so to cover the sides and back of the drawer front... Too much is better than not enough. Measuring for the first one sucks, but you get it just right and use it for a template for the rest of your drawers. I got to use my beautiful new rotary cutter and self healing cutting mat that I adore. Anyways... Then we placed our fabric over the drawer right side down to mark where the knob would go. Then I simply cut out a teeny slit to allow the knob to go through (this eliminates pulling and skewing your Modge Podged fabric).

After I had every thing marked and drilled, I was ready to lay it on thick. The Modge Podge, that is. I lined up my hole in my fabric with the hole in my drawer front, had hubs hold one side steady while I glued under the other... and then switched. Once the fabric was set in place, I coaxed the air bubbles to fly away and added more Modge Podge to the top of the fabric. Did you know Modge Podge smells like Disney World? Me neither until yesterday. It's not poisonous either. All these folks who use brushes to apply it? Phooey!! Use your fingers! It's fun! I wrapped the edges kinda like a Christmas present and glued over them like crazy. don't worry about stray threads {def don't pull them} just glue them down to be cut later.
Also, don't worry if your edges look like this... You can clean that up later too with a rotary cutter or a box cutter or something really sharp. Wink. 
Once your drawers have dried, screw in your knobs and apply the washer to the back. Then to a little housekeeping; trim your rebel strands of fabric, use a rotary cutter to take excess fabric off edges, and you can even lightly sand the glue for a smoother texture. Paint your desk a corresponding color, place the drawers in their cubby, and then ADMIRE!!




********************************************************
tips:
#1 if you are going to use your fingers, make sure you wash them in between drawers. The glue dries and will try and jump off your fingers and sabotage your Modge Podged perfection.



#2 don't choose your base coat color until you see the drawers completed. You might change your mind.


#3 take a swatch of Modge Podged fabric with you to choose your main color, it changes color once the glue hits it (only by a bit).


#4 use a space heater to speed up the drying process


********************************************************


Also, because I'm horrible at tutorials 
and directions and such... Here is a
list of resources & inspiration I used.
fabric covered filing cabinet
decoupage fabric desk
fabric decoupaged night stands
revamp ikea drawers
how to install cabinet knobs (video)




see the matching ironing table {HERE}



Linking up:




 Tuesday To Do PartyTodays Creative BlogCraft & TellMade in a DayCraft & Tellfive days five ways | feature friday free for allA Law Student's Journey








32 comments:

MamaMonki said...

30 dollars well spent. Love it! We have one of those yard sale pages on facebook now in our town and I'm a little addicted.

smiley said...

Great job! Love how you matched your flower patterns on the drawers!

Amber Nicole said...

Oh! You did a great job!! It looks good!

Chrissy @ the Pearl Blog said...

amazing.. you are so awesome!

Unknown said...

Wow wow wow. This looks SO good! Seriously, I'm in awe. Also, I am jealous. That is one beautiful desk!

Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs said...

wow I LOVE the finished desk!!! You did a fab job! That looks so great!!

Mindie Hilton said...

What a great transformation of a yard sale treasure.
I would love to have you join my weekly linky Fri-Monday come strut your stuff.
I did a transformation post too this week, a transformation of me.
http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-weight-loss-transformation-inside.html

Happy New Year!

Al@PolkaDotsandPaisley said...

This looks fantastic! I love the paint colour and fabric you used.

Unknown said...

I LOVE your desk...you have a great eye for color! :)

Jacy said...

Well done girl, it looks beautiful!!

Abbie said...

What a cute desk makeover (and cute baby bump too! : ))

Love all the bright colors you chose!


Would also love it if you stopped by for a visit!

P.S. I'm your newest follower. : )

~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

Jenna said...

Great job, it's so bright and fun now!

Aleks said...

brilliant! the desk looks amazing girl!! you did a great job!! i LOVE the color you picked and the fabric is gorgeous! what an amazing work space you have now!

The Life Of Faith said...

I love the desk makeover! You did a great job, especially considering the weather, being pregnant, and super busy! Thanks for sharing:)

Jordann@JHouseTawk said...

This is so cool :) .. and thanks for checking out my blog today! I'm glad I inspired you ;)
Take care!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I want it! Totally awesome!

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is so fun! i love the fun fabric and the complementing color you chose!

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

This can cheer you up on the gloomiest of days. Love how bring and cheerful it is. Great re-do! I am a new Twitter follower visiting from Funky Polka Dot Giraffe. Vicky from Mess For Less

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Love how bright the material is. It was worth all the effort!

Janel from NellieBellie said...

What an improvement! Love the colors and the fabric!!

Janet said...

Great job!! Decoupage was definitely the way to go. Enjoy and you can tell the babe you did this when....
Janet

Heather @ It's A Long Story said...

Ooooh...it looks so cute!

Hanni said...

Oh so cute :) This is an amazing project.
This is a real must have project for me. I pinned it.

debbie refreshrestyle said...

It looks great, I am wanting to mod podge one with paper. I keep putting it off. You have inspired me. Congratulations on the baby!

Jami said...

So stinkin' cute!!! Thanks for sharing at the Tuesday To Do Party!
Smiles!
Jami
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

Alyssa - Live. Love. Craft. said...

oooh my gosh i love it! :)

Lesley said...

Fabulous! I have a linky party on Thursdays ( still open ) that I'd love for you to link this to!

amy and jesse hudson said...

It looks amazing! It was so perfect for drab to tab today! Thanks for coming and linking with me meg! :)

amy and jesse hudson said...

I featured this today on D2f1

http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/01/drab-to-fab-link-up-features_20.html

I'd love for my readers to see some of your other stuff! Today's D2F party is live, so come on over if you have a chance and link up something else ya got (old or new). Thanks girl!

Kitty B said...

This turned out so great! Love the final product!
Thanks for linking up at LSJ today!

How to Nest for Less said...

So funky and fresh... I LOVE IT!! Thanks so much for sharing at my first ever linky party :) So glad I found you!

Eclectically Vintage said...

What a fun makeover!! Great deal (I'll have to check out that FB page).
Kelly

Popular Posts