Mommy Thoughts Thursday {ORGANIZATION, revisited}

Once upon a time, 6(ish) months ago, I was pregnant. Like whoa pregnant. I was worrying about where I would put all the stuff I had received at a shower. I had no idea where I'd put it all, no idea how to streamline it all. I was so concerned about organizing her stuff. {read about it here}

On this side of motherhood, I have discovered...

It doesn't matter.

Yupp. Doesn't matter where you put the stuff before baby gets here, it will all end up in a different place once you settle into motherhood. There are a few places I didn't expect, though. I was worried about how to organize her nursery, but truth is, we're hardly ever in there (at this stage at least).

Some of these are kind of obvious, but I just missed them. Amidst the hustle of getting the nursery completed, I really didn't think about the obvious. I'm sure you guys can relate to that.



A sink. Like a whole sink. 
We sterilize our bottles overnight(s?) in soapy water. A whole day's worth of bottles take up the entire side of the sink. This logic is easy to miss, and it really takes some adjusting to when you are used to two sinks. Not many dishes can fit into one side of the sink. We are blessed, though, that we have a split sink.

A cabinet. Like a whole cabinet.
I realized Madison would need a shelf for her bottles. Bottles aren't the only eating necessity, though.
 Bowls. Spoons. Sippies. Food. Juice. Formula. Baby Bullet.

And don't forget space for a high chair...


 A refrigerator shelf. Madison's homemade food is to be refrigerated... she needs space for her premade breast milk bottles... and let's face it - refrigerator space is valuable. Even if it's just a little bit.

A freezer shelf.
For storing baby food and a milk stock pile.
And if your freezer is anything like mine, this space is even more valuable that fridge space.

Madison's stash in the living room started out in this cute little white basket all tucked away and tidy...

Then it grew into this. 
Just face it - your living room will never be the same.


A few other areas that need to be noted - the bathroom. Have each bathroom stocked with bath time essentials. You never, never, know when an emergency bath will take place. Have soap and towels at hand at all times. When Madison was a newborn, we had everything in our room. Diapers, wipes, change of clothes, burp cloths, and even a few dirty bottles!

What do you keep in your car?
We keep toys, baby carriers, and wet wipes in the car at all times!



Yes, our homes are messy. There are bright colored toys that don't match our decor. There are tiny socks, toys, and shoes all over the place. But our hearts are full, right moms!?!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoy reading your blog soooo much. I am a full time working mother of an 18 month old and it has been quite the journey. I relate to so many of your posts! I was just telling one of my friends this weekend that you would never walk in to my house and mistake the fact that I have a child - my house is full of "baby" stuff. Toys, socks, shoes, sippy cups, just messes in general (not all can be blamed on her)! Thank you for blogging - I love your posts! If you would like to check out my blog you can find it at...
http://theadventuresofthescottfamily.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Jennifer

Whitney @ My Southern Comfort said...

you sound like me! That is so funny.. why in the world would such a little person need SOOO MUCH stuff??

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for blogging. I too am a full time working mom. My "baby" is 18 months old... I have a hard time with the fact that she really isn't a baby anymore. It is fun to watch them grow and learn, but hard at the same time! I find myself relating so much to so many of your posts. I very much enjoy reading your blog. Today I read this, and had to laugh because just the other day I was telling one of my friends that no one could walk into my house and mistake the fact that I have a child! I love being a mom though, and would never want anyone to think I wasn't a mom! If you have the chance to look at my blog you can find it at:
http://theadventuresofthescottfamily.blogspot.com/
Thanks again for blogging I do love reading your blog, and it has challenged me a few times!

Michelle said...

i actually try to keep nothing in my car at all - i know i'm not well prepared but i'd hate the mess!

Holly said...

haha, I love this! Baby stuff TOTALLY takes over!! Luckily, once they learn to walk, the big baby stuff (swings, bouncers, etc) can be packed away again!

Following you from Mommy Moments! Stop by http://mymommyandwifelife.blogspot.com if you have time and let me know what you think :)

Holly

Popular Posts